Serving the Bucksport region for over 44 years
Do You Qualify?
Sliding Fee Scale
At BRHC, we are committed to providing care to ALL patients, regardless of ability to pay.
If you meet certain income guidelines, you may qualify for our sliding fee discount program.
Assistance is available for low-income individuals and households to obtain the medications they need.
Health Insurance Marketplace
Special Enrollment Period
You may still be able to apply for a Special Enrollment Period if you have any of the following “life events” you will be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period.
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Moving to a different state
- Gaining citizenship
- Leaving incarceration
- Losing health coverage due to losing a job, divorce, individual policy ending or aging off a parent’s plan.
You can apply for MaineCare at any time during the year.
About the Marketplace
The Marketplace helps individuals, families and small businesses to find and buy health coverage. Before you enroll, you will be provided with a clear picture of the premiums you’ll pay and the benefits and protections you’ll receive. You may also be eligible for Tax Credits to help pay the monthly premiums. Coverage through the Marketplace will be based on income, household size, age and tobacco use. You cannot be denied coverage or charged more because you have a pre-existing condition. Dependents can stay on their parent’s plan until they are 26 years old.
Who’s eligible for Marketplace health coverage?
Most people are eligible for Marketplace coverage. To receive coverage through the Marketplace, you:
- Must live in the United States
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national (or be lawfully present)
- Cannot be incarcerated
Most people will also qualify for a Premium Tax Credit. An individual’s yearly income needs to be above $11,670 and for a family of 4 it needs to be above $23,850 yearly.
How can I get help?
The Marketplace will offer several kinds of assistance to help you apply for coverage and choose a plan that meets your needs.
- Online questions and answers (Healthcare.gov)
- Online chat (Healthcare.gov)
- A toll-free call (1-800-318-2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- People in your community trained to help you apply and enroll (SVHC Certified Application Counselors)
BRHC encourages people who are looking for help to make an in-person appointment with one of our Certified Application Counselors. The Counselors can help you understand the choices available, answer any questions you may have and to help you fill out the application.
Who is already considered covered?
If you’re covered by any of the following, you’re considered covered and don’t have to pay a penalty.
- Any Marketplace plan, or any individual insurance plan you already have
- The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- TRICARE (for current service members and military retirees, their families, and survivors)
- Veterans health care programs (including the Veterans Health Care Program, VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA), and Spinal Bifida Health Care Benefits Program)
- Peace Corps Volunteer plans
Other plans may also qualify. Ask your health coverage provider.
What if I don’t have coverage?
People who do not have coverage that qualifies as minimum essential coverage may have to pay a penalty. They will also have to pay the entire costs of their medical treatment throughout the year.
Who do I contact?
If you have questions or want to see if you qualify for the Marketplace, please contact our Certified Application Counselors: