The Phlebotomist collects laboratory specimens, prepares specimens for analysis in-house or sent elsewhere, analyzes specimens, reports results, and maintains patient files and records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures lab orders are in place before the patient’s blood is drawn.
- Collects and processes patient specimens following Health Center laboratory policies and procedures.
- Judges appropriateness of test order vs. given diagnosis and checks with Laboratory Manager if any question.
- Handles and disposes of lab specimens following Health Center policies and procedures.
- Runs waived lab testing after appropriate training and review.
- Responds to inquiries to the lab.
- Initiates mechanisms to improve departmental efficiency and quality of work.
- Brings any issue that cannot be resolved to the attention of the Laboratory Manager.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Be committed to the mission of the Bucksport Regional Health Center.
- Work as a member of the clinical team in the performance of duties.
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
- Work in harmonious relationships with all staff, patients, vendors, and others.
- Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
- Perform the required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
- Maintain confidentiality and protect the Center by keeping information concerning Operations, patients, and employees confidential.
- Requires frequent contact with personnel of different educational and professional levels, inside and outside of the Health Center. Direct contact with patients most of the day.
The physical requirements described here represent those that must be met by the Incumbent to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit and walk, frequently use hands to finger, handle, or feel, including operation of a standard computer keyboard and other medical office equipment, reach with hands and arms and talk, see, and hear.
Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity are required. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds, bend, stoop, stretch or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus; prolonged visual acuity is required.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in a medical office setting. The noise level is usually quiet. Potential exposure to hazardous and infectious materials, including blood-borne pathogens.
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR POSITION:
Experience & Skill Requirements:
The following experience and skills are considered essential:
- At least one year of experience as a Lab Assistant or Phlebotomist is strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate and present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply clinical policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
The following education requirements are considered essential:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of in-house training as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Laboratory Manager.
** All requirements and skills are considered to be essential unless otherwise indicated. **
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.